Student Complaint Policy

Carolina University is committed to timely and fair resolution of all student complaints and provides a process for students to file formal complaints when they are dissatisfied with institutional policies, services, or employee actions. This process may apply to academic or nonacademic issues, but is typically applied in matters where formal policies and procedures are not in effect. In those areas, policies stated in the Student or Academic Handbooks take precedence.

General Principles

  • Whenever possible and in a timely fashion, students should voice complaints informally with the faculty, staff, or other student/s involved. A list of University administration, faculty, and staff can be found here.
  • If the complaint cannot be resolved informally, students are encouraged to follow the formal complaint process.
  • There will be no adverse effect on or retaliation against a student voicing a complaint in good faith or against any person who in good faith provides information regarding a complaint.

Formal Complaint Process

Step 1

Submit a formal written complaint to Jeremy Pattisall in the Office of Institutional Effectiveness by completing an online or PDF complaint form.

Kristen McManus
Registrar's Office
420 S. Broad St.
Winston-Salem, NC 27101
Telephone: 336-297-7937

Submission of complaints should be made within 30 days of the incident. The Office of IE will acknowledge receipt of the complaint to the person/s submitting the formal complaint. Upon receipt of the complaint by the Institutional Effectiveness Office, the complaint will be assigned to the appropriate office.

Step 2

The supervisor of the office in question will review the complaint, evaluate the documentation, and communicate in writing with the person/s within 30 days. The response will include key actions to be taken by all persons involved to seek resolution of the complaint. Anonymous complaints will not be addressed formally.

Step 3

If the complaint is still unresolved, the student may appeal and request all communications and documentation to be submitted to the supervisor's supervisor up to and including the President of the University. Each supervisor is responsible for a written response to the complainant prior to it being submitted to the next level.

Step 4

If still dissatisfied after submitting the complaint to the Office of the President, the student may request the President to submit all documentation to the Board of Trustees.

Step 5

If a student has exhausted every avenue for their complaint at the University and remains dissatisfied, the student may submit their complaint to the organizations provided below. Out-of-state students who wish to file a complaint with their home state should refer to the State Authorization Liaisons Per State responsible for handling complaints.

NC Post-Secondary Education Complaint Procedures

If a complaint cannot be resolved through the University's complaint process, students may file a complaint with the North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints unit. Please review the NC Post-Secondary Education Student Complaint Policy (also available on their webpage), print and complete the NC Post-Secondary Education Complaint Form, and submit the complaint to:

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
c/o Student Complaints
University of North Carolina System Office
910 Raleigh Road
Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688

Phone: (919) 962-4558

TRACS Student Complaint Process

Carolina University is accredited by the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools (TRACS). Any student who has already followed the Complaint Procedures and feels the issue is not resolved, may contact TRACS.

Students should follow the TRACS Complaint Policy and complete the TRACS Complaint Form.

Transnational Association of Christian Colleges & Schools (TRACS)
15935 Forest Road
Forest, Virginia 24551

Telephone: (434) 525-9539

SARA-NC Complaint Process and Information

Students may also file a complaint through SARA-NC. SARA-NC is the portal for North Carolina.

SARA North Carolina
North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority
P.O. Box 14103
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709

Telephone: (855) SARA-1-NC (727-2162)
Telephone: (919) 549-8614, ext. 4667

SARA-NC Complaint Process

SARA-NC Complaint Form