This is a FREE resource offered by the US Department of Education regarding FERPA laws and student information privacy. You will have to make an account on the website using your Carolina University email in order to enroll in the course. There is a quiz at the end and a Certificate of Completion that will be given at the completion of the course.
This course takes 35-45 minutes to complete.
How to take the course:
- Click on the button above labeled "FERPA Training"
- Click on the link labeled "Click Here to access this course"
- If you have not yet registered on the DoE website, click on "Register", if you have registered login with your credentials
- Register on the Department of Education Training site and your Carolina University email. This is not connected to our Single Sign on, so you will have to create a password unique to this website.
- Select the "2021 FERPA 101: Colleges and Universities (Accessible)" Course
- Click on the green button on the right labeled "Enroll" to enroll in the training
- You will get a message stating you have been successfully enrolled. In this window, you can click on the "Start Learning Now" link in the bottom right.
- After completing the course and passing the quiz at the end, your Certificate of Completion will be displayed. You can click Close in the top right of that window, and the next screen will allow you to download your certificate. Download your certificate to a location that you can easily access for the next steps.
- Rename the certificate with your lastname-firstname-2022.pdf
- Email this certificate file to: StudentTraining@carolinau.edu along with the name of your current supervisor to notify once the certificate is processed.
Once you complete the course and your certificate is emailed, please allow 48 hours for the Carolina University system to accept and process your certificate. Your indicated supervisor will be notified that you successfully completed the training.